Neurosciencegirl

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

things i was going to mention.... but forgot

I tend to have a really poor short term memory, so half the time when I make a mental note to mention something, remind myself or somebody else something I forget. This is why I buy myself fancy colored post-it notes and the front of my monitor at the lab is covered with them- I have about 6 semi permanent ones on the side of my computer for reminders for longer term stuff and around 8-10 framing my monitor staring me in the face. Anyway, that isn't what I was going to write about, but now you can see I get easily distracted and sidetracked. Yet somehow I've made it through halfway of my PhD program, scary I know. It is also official as of yesterday (to me anyway) that I earned my masters degree as I finally received my diploma in the mail. Yay! No frame, or carrying case just a piece of paper, which in reality doesn't mean anything, but to me counts for something and my 2 1/2 years of studying and slaving away as a grad student :)

What I was going to write about was being at home over the weekend, and seeing a slideshow of past family vacations. My dad has been scanning in all of our family slides into the computer, and on top of that coverting our VHS family video's into DVD's (of which he has 50! DVDs so far!!!) Did we videotape every band concert, basketball game, play, or thing that all five of us girls were in? Apparently! That is sort of insane, but our kids can watch us being kids and see all of our crazy t-shirts and bad 80's clothes and glasses I guess. I dragged Eman down to the basement w/ me to watch all of the slides. I think he was afraid he was being punished in someway and didn't really want to sit through it, but if it was reversed I would have loved it. I love hearing stories about when he was a little kid and seeing what his life was like before I met him. Although sitting through a family slide show at my house probably could test the nerves of Mother Theresa as every slide evokes oh that was such and such mountain at so and so, and do you remember L puking on the yukka plant there? etc etc etc. But, this show actually went pretty quickly and only covered snippets of most trips so I think Eman didn't really mind it in the end. Plus he got to see some of my favorite highlights, the corn palace in south dakota that gets completely decorated out of corn every year w/ new design, neato (ok very nerdy but i was like 10 and i liked it!), some awesome grand canyon shots that we took in a storm w/ a double rainbow, cool Zion NP photos and plus my family w/ huge oversize glasses, t-shirts that say Glacier NP, or Rocky Mountain NP in big oversized letters, a yellow Cheerio t-shirt that we all had and loved etc.

hhhmm I know there was something else but it will come to me later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home