books
I got my paper sent back again but this time with only minor revisions, reviewer #2 wants me to fix one sentence, so I am happy about that. I made some changes and wrote the response letter and sent it to my PI. We are meeting Monday to discuss the changes.
I tend to want to write more here but then I worry about stuff being found out etc so then I don't. Or I compose this piece in my head but I'm someplace I can't write, or it's 1 am and I'm trying to go to sleep... It is something I'm going to work on.
I read some books for fun recently and I would recommend all three of these:
1) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
2) Dune by Frank Herbert
3) The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Brave New World is a quick read but it is fascinating! Especially considering it was written in the 1930s. It explores a future where humans are massed produced according to class. Alphas (the top tier or course), Betas, Deltas, Epsilons. If you are of a lower rank then you are made in batches 80 identical twins and made to order. Somewhat lacking in intellect you are happy to work at whatever job you are trained for. So besides the obvious of considering a modern world where cloning with special conditioning could be an everyday thing the book also examines cultural and societal norms. There has been a lot in the media lately about Americans being too happy and focusing on trying to be happy. Instead of embracing emotions such as sadness "we" as a society are told to move on etc. In Brave New World I thought it paralleled these ideas. Everyone in 'civilization' is conditioned to be happy and not express other strong emotions. If they are upset by something they take some 'soma'. But without experiencing other emotions how do you learn to appreciate the wide range of emotions we humans can feel? (not that I think everyone should be melancholy all the time) This also reaches the arguments that some have put forth that we (as a society) are 'over medicated'. I don't really buy that, I think depression and anxiety are real. Overall it was interesting.
2) Dune is a scifi book and was an enjoyable read. It has some undertones regarding religion and politics but just be a fun story on a futuristic planet where you have to wear a stillsuit to survive the dryness. The stillsuit recycles something like 90% of your body's own moisture! There is slow spot toward the final 1/3 of the book but the end makes up for it.
3) The Other Boleyn Girl is historical fiction and focuses on Mary Boleyn and Anne Boleyn. Of course it is common knowledge that Anne married King Henry VIII and was later beheaded but this book brings these characters to life. I know that it isn't historically accurate but it was entertaining to get to know what these people may have been like. It made the time exciting, vivid and easy to imagine. I even got a wee bit obsessed with the royal lineage after reading this. I was curious as to how Queen Elizabeth I ascended the throne (Anne was her mom). I knew I had learned this once upon a time but I had forgotten. [King Henry VIII's son Edward reigned until he died at age 15, then Queen Mary took the throne (her mother Queen Catherine of Aaragon; half sister to Elizabeth) when she died with no issue, Elizabeth took over] Also, if you have visited the Tower of London than you have seen the green where Anne lost her head. I was curious to see how the crown was passed down. It is strange to think that if a few things were different there very well could be a different person that is Queen or King now.
I tend to want to write more here but then I worry about stuff being found out etc so then I don't. Or I compose this piece in my head but I'm someplace I can't write, or it's 1 am and I'm trying to go to sleep... It is something I'm going to work on.
I read some books for fun recently and I would recommend all three of these:
1) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
2) Dune by Frank Herbert
3) The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Brave New World is a quick read but it is fascinating! Especially considering it was written in the 1930s. It explores a future where humans are massed produced according to class. Alphas (the top tier or course), Betas, Deltas, Epsilons. If you are of a lower rank then you are made in batches 80 identical twins and made to order. Somewhat lacking in intellect you are happy to work at whatever job you are trained for. So besides the obvious of considering a modern world where cloning with special conditioning could be an everyday thing the book also examines cultural and societal norms. There has been a lot in the media lately about Americans being too happy and focusing on trying to be happy. Instead of embracing emotions such as sadness "we" as a society are told to move on etc. In Brave New World I thought it paralleled these ideas. Everyone in 'civilization' is conditioned to be happy and not express other strong emotions. If they are upset by something they take some 'soma'. But without experiencing other emotions how do you learn to appreciate the wide range of emotions we humans can feel? (not that I think everyone should be melancholy all the time) This also reaches the arguments that some have put forth that we (as a society) are 'over medicated'. I don't really buy that, I think depression and anxiety are real. Overall it was interesting.
2) Dune is a scifi book and was an enjoyable read. It has some undertones regarding religion and politics but just be a fun story on a futuristic planet where you have to wear a stillsuit to survive the dryness. The stillsuit recycles something like 90% of your body's own moisture! There is slow spot toward the final 1/3 of the book but the end makes up for it.
3) The Other Boleyn Girl is historical fiction and focuses on Mary Boleyn and Anne Boleyn. Of course it is common knowledge that Anne married King Henry VIII and was later beheaded but this book brings these characters to life. I know that it isn't historically accurate but it was entertaining to get to know what these people may have been like. It made the time exciting, vivid and easy to imagine. I even got a wee bit obsessed with the royal lineage after reading this. I was curious as to how Queen Elizabeth I ascended the throne (Anne was her mom). I knew I had learned this once upon a time but I had forgotten. [King Henry VIII's son Edward reigned until he died at age 15, then Queen Mary took the throne (her mother Queen Catherine of Aaragon; half sister to Elizabeth) when she died with no issue, Elizabeth took over] Also, if you have visited the Tower of London than you have seen the green where Anne lost her head. I was curious to see how the crown was passed down. It is strange to think that if a few things were different there very well could be a different person that is Queen or King now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home