Campus Politics
Today I learned that a most undeserving student won a PhD year fellowship award. This student stole the main research idea for his prospectus from another student. (This student did talk to faculty but did not want to pursue a bigger fight for various reasons.) Also the awardee has switched labs 4 times in the last 4 years. Has manipulated, lied and shown zero academic integrity throughout classes and interactions w/ other graduate students. He also has had at least 3 females complain about sexual harassment to faculty, yet somehow this was not placed in his permanent file and he received no punishments/ warnings (that anyone is aware of). Yet he wins this 'award.' How is it that this happens? When other deserving candidates were also nominated. He has not published more, or even done his own work most the time. Who wrote him letters? How does the department stand by and say congrats to someone like this? It makes me question the whole stupid political academic system. How do you fight this sort of thing?
6 Comments:
At 5:39 AM,
PG said…
I think you fight/avoid that type of thing by pursuing things until they're on his record. Otherwise -there's no documented reason for him to not be successful.
At 8:18 AM,
Stephanie said…
That totally stinks. Are you close enough that you can talk to any professors about why this guy got an award?
At 10:53 AM,
B said…
I and another student are going to the Omsbud person to discuss options I guess.
At 12:23 PM,
Field Notes said…
What a frustrating deal. I wouldn't expect your actions with the omsbud to end with him to losing the fellowship. What action do you hope to have?
At 2:02 PM,
B said…
Holly, Yeah me neither, but maybe the omsbud can contact faculty/ staff or the let the grad college know about some of it so that better criteria can be laid out for the future. As for justice for this A-hole, I figure fate will have it's day somewhere down the road. At least that is what I hope.
At 11:12 PM,
Angry Lab Rat said…
I've known a couple of those guys. It doesn't stop in academia, of course. It extends to places like my evil global biotech company. One of my colleagues, who sadly was once a close friend, has lied and schemed his way to the top. He's careful not to leave papertrails showing his deceptions. He takes others ideas and passes them off as his own. He pits people against each other. When his own crappy ideas fail, he blames others. He's very good at getting the ear and favor of those who will determine his future, but everyone who has worked under him or beside him knows his true nature, yet he keeps moving up!
But I have faith! Science is a small circle of people, in the grand scheme of things. Word gets out, if you make sure of it. Eventually his past will catch up with him in a big way (but probably not before he scores big).
Post a Comment
<< Home