Friend or A-hole?
So I have a friend who is in the same program as me and a year ahead of me. He knew I was applying for a summer fellowship so that I would not have to teach in the summer. I have taught every summer and TAed multiple semesters. He has TAed twice and never taught in the summer. He also knows that my lab has only two graduate students, low funding and no post docs/ lab techs and this summer my lab mate will be in a foreign for one month. Leaving me on my own to run all the large animals and keep the small animals running as well. His PI has funding and was planning on funding him for the summer. Yet he applied for the same fellowship as me. He got it even though he didn't need it as he would not of had to teach anyway. I did not. Thus during the month my lab mate is gone I get to teach too. I am so pissed! Why did he get the funding and not me? The thing that hurts the worst is he knew I really needed a break this summer from teaching so I could focus on research, yet he applied anyway. He gets extra money that he didn't even NEED! Plus his PI pays his tuition, although the rest of us all pay our own tuition. Why do I have to do more to get less? Would you do this to a friend? I would not apply for funding if I did not need it as, I know there is a large pool of underfunded students and I would not want to take their $ if I didn't need it.
GGRRRRRRRR!!
Good news, is I'm off my crutches. Yay! And my PT says I have already improved straightening my leg by about 4 degrees, and bent by about 10. sweet! It still hurts w/ every step, but each step is easier so it is really working. Go knee!
GGRRRRRRRR!!
Good news, is I'm off my crutches. Yay! And my PT says I have already improved straightening my leg by about 4 degrees, and bent by about 10. sweet! It still hurts w/ every step, but each step is easier so it is really working. Go knee!
3 Comments:
At 4:53 PM,
Honeybee said…
I'm leaning toward a-hole, but you have to realize that all PIs push their students to get extra funding, even if they don't "need" it. Also, if you get one fellowship your chances of getting another one increase. Your "friend" may be hoping for something like that.
It still sucks. I'm not sure what I would have done. I think I would have at least told my friend that I was also applying.
At 9:25 AM,
B said…
Honeybee, I understand your point but I know his PI and he is not really like that. My friend did tell me he was applying but the reason he said he was applying was so that he could tell his PI to bug off so he could take a two week vacation. That to me does not count as need.
At 9:41 AM,
Unknown said…
I too once had a friend that applied for every single summer internship that I did (after I mentioned them to her). It used to really bug me but I finally realized that she had no idea how it made me feel. Your "friend" may be similarily unenlightened. Stil sucks though. At least the knee is improving.
Post a Comment
<< Home