Neurosciencegirl

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Behind already?

I thought this week was going to be very productive but now it seems I'm already behind and it is only Tuesday. Last night instead of working late I caught an early dinner w/ Eman and as he left for his night class I headed out, to get in line to see a "big" name speaker, one that has influenced a variety of fields, and was invited on the behalf of about 7 different departments/ offices etc. The line was already 3 blocks long so I hobbled in and waited on my crutches for about 45 minutes until they allowed seating to begin. I was lucky enough to get one of the last seats in the back row before everyone else was forced into the balcony. They closed the doors after I had only been there about 5 minutes so I guess I was lucky to get in at all. The speaker's topic was human rights and most of his talk ended up being rather depressing. He was pointing out the USAs lousy track record on a variety of issues. It mostly just really saddened me. And he did not offer any real solutions. Rather he said things like, "Our political system is broken, or set up incorrectly."(only in a much more elegant fashion but you know what I mean) Meaning the two party system that did not cater to what voters actually wanted, among other things. How do you go about realistically changing this? I guess at the end he had some good points, but I was really wondering why does he get a standing ovation for speaking? How has he helped to change these things he kept pointing out to us? Has he outlined a way to do it anywhere? I don't know, maybe he has, so I need to do some research first to see. I am just wondering when you are a 'big' name, is it enough to raise the issue?, is speaking about a problem enough to get a huge pat on the back and large public recognition, when should they have to offer solutions?

hm well I'll have to ponder that one- but I have to go polish up a presentation. I am guest lecturing for an acquantance who has a highly contagious disease and can not leaver her house. Why did I agree to teach a 2 1/2 hour lecture with one days notice?
aye aye aye if I was mean I would have said no.
but who wants to be mean?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home