Neurosciencegirl

Thursday, April 27, 2006

feeling strange

Today a woman I know died. I don't really know how old she was maybe 50 something or 60ish? I knew she had some health issues but I did not know they were that serious. I wasn't really close to her or anything, but she works in my building. It will be wierd to go to her shared office and not see her anymore.

I am incredibly tired tonight, and want to leave my lab. But, since I found out yesterday that my PI will not allow me to put any of the data from the last 9 brain areas I collected in an abstract for a poster, I think I need to stay. Why was it a priority for me to finish the f***ing cerebellum if I can't use them for a poster? The deadline is fast approaching. I could have spent my time on the forebrain gathering data for my poster, and then after abstract submissions, finish the cerebellum. Crimeny! At the same time I was told the other project that I've been overseeing the undergrads, with is taking too much time. UM- how do you want the work to get done if I don't show them how to do it? This isn't baking a cake, you have to interact with them and watch them, to be sure that things go right. Otherwise you end up re-running things, which wastes even more time. Arg! I really like my PI, but our meetings are rarely that productive. I get my stuff done when I need to and still end up waiting for her to fulfill her end of the bargain. For example, she wanted me to finish the cerebellum, I did, she has still not done something she said she would do, that she told me about in Nov. I know she has a lot on her plate, but we (the two grad students) run her entire lab, she is NEVER here. It is in her best interest to help us too, she needs tenure.

sigh, at least I'm alive! My calves are in extreme pain today though as my PT had me do too many exercises yesterday utilizing them. Between them and my knee I'm back to walking all goofy again. oh well- tommorrow will be better!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Honeybee said…

    It would be strange to have an acquaintance like that die. I've never had it happen.

    How often do you have meetings with your PI? I ask because at my first lab we never had meetings and then he would get mad about my decisions or lack of progress. My current PI has a weekly meeting with everyone, and it is incredibly helpful for me.

    My PI is up for tenure in a year as well. Joy.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    It seems like your advisor is lacking some perspective on your productivity/workload. Hope things are better today.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger B said…

    honeybee-
    We have meetings, maybe once every two weeks, or once a month or so depending on how busy she is, how much I have going on etc. We tried the once a week thing, I think it lasted a month. So we might go back to that format... but I doubt it :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home