Neurosciencegirl

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Supreme court nominee

I listened to some of the Senate hearings yesterday while at work and the whole morning sort of disgusted me. The all male white senators each said something to the effect of, "Our country is so wonderful, we have a Hispanic women nominated to the highest court in the land, look how great we are...." ICK!! Yes we have a great country, yes we have come a long way, but we have so much further to go. And in most cases it isn't like they paved the way for her, or are responsible for her success as a judge. I know what they were trying to say but after hearing it 13 times I sort of wanted to throw up.

Women are underrepresented in almost every field, or underpaid, or underrepresented at the 'higher' ranks! (Law, medicine, academia, news casters, politicians, even chefs!)
So now we will have the third women ever out of 110 justices. If you look at it like that it still seems too little, too late. We didn't have any women until 1981? That seems insane, and now are just getting to our third?

That and all the comments about her 'wise Latina' comment were driving me batty. I'm pretty sure she meant her upbringing and background provided a wider perspective to view the law and cases. Does this different perspective add value? It would seem like it would to me but maybe I have 'my gender' lenses on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home