Neurosciencegirl

Monday, January 12, 2009

Get this girl some chapstick!

This is what my new dentist said about me today. I mean give me a break. It has been in single digits here a lot and I've been wearing chapstick but when you have your mouth open for an hour your lips dry out! I couldn't believe he said that! They then brought me a tube of chapstick w/ his name on it. I guess he was trying to be nice but I just felt weird. I also hate how you are supposed to put your medical history down at the dentist. What business is it of theirs? I realize if you have a heart condition or something and having some major dental procedure that would be important. But that I have had my gall bladder out? Why does that matter? I wrote down that sort of thing anyway because I feel like I should. But then the receptionist is all nosy and checking it out as well as the hygienist. bleh. I hate going to the dentist. In fact I hadn't gone in 6 years and worse I've been paying for dental insurance. Now that I've gone I will continue. I know I shouldn't have let it slide that long but after a couple of years I was embarrassed and so then it just got worse and worse. I'm really bad about putting that sort of thing off. (For instance I was having gall bladder pains waking me up in the middle of the night for about a year before the most severe attack sent me to the doctor). I'm trying to be better about that sort of thing now.

I also got a full set of teeth X-rays taken which was sort of painful. They put these huge squares in my mouth for me to bit down on and the corners were scraping the roof or the bottom of my mouth. You would think they would make the edges round to protect your soft mouth parts. No cavities! yay! They also asked me about throat cancer! I asked how common it was. They said it occurred the most in women age 35 who were non-smokers. I'm not yet 35 but it was still a little freaky.

This morning I saw a hawk sitting in the snow under a tree eating a rodent he was a pretty bird. I also 4 bald eagles over the river, they were huge.

Last night we made chicken and sausage paella. It turned out pretty well but we have a ton of it! At least tonight we don't have to cook.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Psych Post Doc said…

    7 years here since I went to the dentist. I had some pretty horrific childhood experiences that make it such a trial for me to go.

    I did allocate a bunch of $$ to my flex spending account this year to force myself to go.

    No cavities huh? I know I will not be that lucky as I know about at least 2 teeth that will need to be fixed.

    Your dinner sounds yummy.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Unbalanced Reaction said…

    Glad I'm not the only dental delinquent....

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger B said…

    psych post doc-
    yeah I had to have several baby teeth pulled because my adult teeth were growing through my gums. That and braces, headgear, etc, made me wary of the dentist!

    unbalanced reaction- I like that it is funny!

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I used to have an awesome dentist who decided, out of nowhere, to move to San Francisco. He was replaced by Doc Holy. His last name was actually pronounced holy. Thought it was a good sign. Nope! I went to him once and never again. That was the last time I went to the dentist...8 years ago.

    And using Unbalanced Reaction's term, this feels like dental delinquent anonymous...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home