attempted shopping
We have a "cocktail" good bye part to attend tonight for our friends German roommate. I can't say he will be missed much, as all he talks about is how we do things wrong here and how it is much better in Germany. Anyway, I have nothing to wear. I have no nice wintery dress like outfits. I few sweaters and pairs of pants that work for confernce, work stuff but nothing fun or cute. So yesterday I took off work early to head out to what they call "the mall" here, E graciously accompanied me to help rule out any old lady looking prints. :) The first dress store was mostly disappointing. I have lost a little bit of weight but am still a Womens plus size, this does not bode well. I am however, not broad shouldered with massive boobs, so even the larger clothing doesn't work in that way, and I am tall so things that do fit are often too short. I found one, ONE, cute dress in the entire store, which was the actually too big, but it was the only one they had. I don't know why, but it seems for most of the patterns they start w/ a large rectangle, then cut a large rectangle neck line, add shoulder pads, and then add some sort of awful print, beading, or puffy sleaves! If I was a large rectangle- maybe this would look good. I am large but I do have a waist! I don't need to look like a large square blob! If it isn't the rectangle dress sack w/ beading, then it is the two piece with the old lady jacket with a busy pattern or large sequins. I mean no wonder the show "what NOT to wear" has so many people to choose from. Do they see what they offer people in middle America to wear? It is horrendous! I did find a dark brown skirt. Not fancy but wearable. The next store for plus sized me had no dresses to offer. The explanation was that they are a small store so they don't ever carry dresses. How can I find anything decent if I can't try it on? Dresses always look good from afar, but when I put them on I realize the cut is for big boobs I don't have, so I'm flashing half of myself, the back is too drapy, the waist is too buncy etc. I did manage to find a dark sweater to wear w/ the brown skirt and after hitting Payless shoes I have some long, dark brown boots to go with the ensemble. It is cute, not really cocktail, but it will have to do.
I ended up wearing it out last night for my birthday dinner with E. They had a reservation for us that wasn't ready and after we were seated we waited another 10-15 minutes for our drink orders to be taken. E was ready to leave, but really I just wanted to relax and enjoy the low lighting. Both of what we attempted to order was sold out, but we each got a glass of free wine. This seemed to calm E, for which I was greatful :) The food was good though and we shared one of the Oregon Pinot's that we had been saving since July. It was fablous! I would go back and hope for a less busy night. For the prices of this place, in city we live in, you would expect better service.
I ended up wearing it out last night for my birthday dinner with E. They had a reservation for us that wasn't ready and after we were seated we waited another 10-15 minutes for our drink orders to be taken. E was ready to leave, but really I just wanted to relax and enjoy the low lighting. Both of what we attempted to order was sold out, but we each got a glass of free wine. This seemed to calm E, for which I was greatful :) The food was good though and we shared one of the Oregon Pinot's that we had been saving since July. It was fablous! I would go back and hope for a less busy night. For the prices of this place, in city we live in, you would expect better service.
1 Comments:
At 5:46 AM,
Stephanie said…
Stupid stores with their crappy clothes. I'm sorry, B. We can do a shopping trip in CF... or maybe your bridesmaid dress for my wedding will do the trip :)
Post a Comment
<< Home