women leadership and Newsweek
I saw the Newsweek magazine cover online today and they had an article about top 20 women leaders.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14870541/site/newsweek/
While I appreciate the nod toward women leaders in variety of fields, it frusterates me on some level that it just isn't a list of top leaders. Leaders that include women but aren't singled out just because they are women. Can't you just be appreciated for being a good politician, writer, fashion designer, CEO, or scientist without being a women writer, a women CEO etc? I recognize that it is good to highlight to young women, that women can be the top in their respective field and it was an interesting piece to read with advice from real women who had made it in their respective area- But in order to highlight these great women do you have do do a piece specifically about women? Can't you highlight the top leaders in a variety of career's and still find women in the top? Or would women then be left off the list?
I am not striving to be some well known, "great" scientist. But I would like to just be appreciated as a good scientist in general (someday anyway, after finding a job, etc.) Not a good women scientist, just a good scientist like every other scientist who does the best they can to answer the questions of their interest. Sometimes when you put 'women' in front of something it feels like a qualifier, as in good for a women writer, women CEO etc. How do we get beyond this, while still recognizing women leaders and promoting them as role models for others?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14870541/site/newsweek/
While I appreciate the nod toward women leaders in variety of fields, it frusterates me on some level that it just isn't a list of top leaders. Leaders that include women but aren't singled out just because they are women. Can't you just be appreciated for being a good politician, writer, fashion designer, CEO, or scientist without being a women writer, a women CEO etc? I recognize that it is good to highlight to young women, that women can be the top in their respective field and it was an interesting piece to read with advice from real women who had made it in their respective area- But in order to highlight these great women do you have do do a piece specifically about women? Can't you highlight the top leaders in a variety of career's and still find women in the top? Or would women then be left off the list?
I am not striving to be some well known, "great" scientist. But I would like to just be appreciated as a good scientist in general (someday anyway, after finding a job, etc.) Not a good women scientist, just a good scientist like every other scientist who does the best they can to answer the questions of their interest. Sometimes when you put 'women' in front of something it feels like a qualifier, as in good for a women writer, women CEO etc. How do we get beyond this, while still recognizing women leaders and promoting them as role models for others?
1 Comments:
At 12:15 PM,
Unknown said…
You ask a very difficult question. I wish I knew the answer.
Post a Comment
<< Home